Thursday 10 October 2013

Payday Friendly Place To Eat



After managing to grab a pair of (very last minute) tickets to see Fiddler on the Roof as a treat for my mam last week, I finally got the chance to visit the iconic Theatre Royal after it's recent restoration. As expected, both the show and the recently-renovated surroundings were fantastic, yet it was the bar/pizzeria attached to the theatre that took me by surprise. 


We decided to have a few drinks in Pasqualino's before the show. Furnished with colourful mismatched chairs and graffiti-style walls, the bar also boasts an extensive drinks menu which we made good use of and made a mental note to return for food. As luck would have it, less than a week later the boyfriend and I found ourselves in town after work looking for somewhere to eat. With payday still in the distant future, we didn't want to pay over the odds. This is probably also a good time to mention that my darling boyfriend is quite possibly the fussiest eater ever, so finding somewhere we can both agree on is difficult. With two courses of any pizza or pasta for £8.95, or three for £10.95 until 10pm, Pasqualino's came to the rescue. 

Pasqualino's was just the right kind of busy for me when we arrived on a rainy Thursday evening: bustling and buzzing without being too loud or overcrowded. Richie knew what he wanted straight away (minestrone soup to start followed by pasta Amatriciana which consisted of smoked pancetta, onion and tomato), whereas I struggled to narrow down my list of choices (nothing new there though). The Orecchiette Pinoli (fresh orecchiette with chillli, pine nuts, lemon zest and broccoli) sounded good, but then again so did the pappadelle maiale (pasta with pulled pork, onion dried tomatoes, marscapone and sage), but I eventually opted for the latter: the Lola pizza (peppers, mozzarella and rocket pesto) and dessert to satisfy my sweet tooth. As Richie wolfed down his minestrone soup starter I sipped my glass of chilled prosecco looking at him with doe eyes until he offered me some. I'm pleased to report that the stock was rich and moreish with a slight kick while the soft vegetables fell to pieces in your mouth. Richie actually declared it was the best soup he's ever eaten. Not a bad start! 

Our mains soon arrived and Richie was greeted by a steaming bowl of fresh pasta while I tackled my ginormous pizza. The dough was thin and crispy just the way I like it and the pesto drizzle lifted the fresh tomato base. Nothing was too much for the staff, checking we had everything we needed and were okay for drinks which was lovely. Naturally I had to try some of Richie's pasta and I'm afraid I have to admit to a slight case of food envy. The pasta was cooked to perfection, swirled into a meaty sauce and generously sprinkled with parmesan. I guess it was only fair that I let Richie have a taste of my dessert - a knickerbockerglory of joy filled with generous scoops of creamy chocolate ice cream, crushed amaretto biscuit and a berry compote. Delicious!

The food at Pasqualino's is wonderfully homecooked food and fantastic value for money that is best served with a glass of wine and friends which is exactly what the girls are planning to do very soon!

To browse their extensive menu and find out more information about this fantastic Italian's - visit www.pasqualinos.co.uk

If like me, there just aren't enough hours in the day and you haven't had a chance to check out the new and improved Theatre Royal, or you fancy doing something different with your Saturday night, see what's on at www.theatreroyal.co.uk (I just booked tickets for the Scottish Ballet and can't wait to go back) 

2 comments:

  1. Pasqualino's has been on my list of places to try for ages now but still not made it there yet ... must make more effort! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should, it has a lovely atmosphere and you don't get hassled every five minutes which I like! Where's your favourite place to eat in town?

    ReplyDelete