Sunday 24 November 2013

Stress Relieving Spa Escape

For some, the idea of getting a massage seems quite self-indulgent or an unjustifiable expense, but for me, it's all about pressing pause on the pace of life, de-stressing and restoring well being. Even the word massage sends shivers down my spine...

One of my good friends Sammy, who has worked incredibly hard to train as a massage therapist, recently opened up her very own beauty and holistic therapies salon, so I couldn't resist popping in to have a look.

Sammy Anne's Holistic Therapies is a gorgeous little shop/treatment room in Whitley Lodge, not far from Whitley Bay town centre and the beach. Easily accessible by car (with plenty of free car parking spaces), bus and metro (heck, you could even cycle there and be really healthy if you wanted to), Sammy's treatment menu really does have something for everyone.


I remember my first massage experience very well: it was a few weeks after my beloved Granda had died quite suddenly and I was feeling really out of sorts as you would expect. I'm sure you've all experienced a similar feeling - you don't want to stay indoors feeling miserable but don't want to face the world either. I wanted somewhere I could escape, where my thoughts would switch off and give me some peace even for just an hour. I decided to give massage a go, but at £40 for an hour's session I knew it wasn't going to be something I could afford to do regularly.  I admit I was a little apprehensive at first, you are essentially stripping half naked and letting a stranger touch you for an hour, but once they start working their magic and knead all the knots, aches and pains away you'll be begging them to carry on for another hour!

A combination of busy living and spending the day at a desk left me with an annoying pain between my shoulder blades and back (I blame my terrible posture). To help me and my muscles relax, Sammy got to work and whipped out her essential oils. Combining geranium, ylang ylang and clary sage with slow 'effleurage' movements and some draining techniques (it was so much more relaxing than it sounds I promise), I slowly felt the knots (or pockets of fluid) drift away and disperse. Sammy is also trained in Sports Massage which came in handy for those stubborn knots. Although at times she applied more pressure than you would in a normal massage, it's not painful at all and you really feel your muscles loosening up.


What is aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is a holistic treatment based on the external use of aromatic oils to help promote physical, mental and spiritual well being. It's good to try if you find yourself feeling anxious, stressed or low. Aromatherapy oils can also be dropped into a tissue and tucked inside your pillow at night to help you sleep better. 

My skin smelled so nice from the essential oils and Sammy finished off the treatment with an amazing neck and shoulder massage and pressed a hot towel on my back to warm my muscles up. Both my treatment and blend of aromatherapy oils were mixed by Sammy according to my individual needs which we discussed in the initial consultation. So in my massage for example, Sammy used geranium for its delicate floral notes to help ease anxiety and stress, ylang ylang for its calming properties and clary sage to stimulate the senses and help uplift my mood. The same goes for the techniques she used, although not everyone will need those added sports massage moves, they're ideal for sorting out stubborn aches and pains.

Good To Know: Not only is Sammy Anne's Holistic Therapies a local business that is definitely worth supporting, her prices are a lot lower than the well-known city spas so you can spoil yourself or a family member for a lot less than you think this Christmas!

She is also offering a 40 minute shoulder, back and neck massage (which is what I had) for just £20 throughout December. If you've never been for a massage before then I would definitely recommend it. You don't have to be feeling stressed or sad (although it does help you feel better), massage can be a perfect way to treat yourself after a busy week or to grab some much-needed 'me time'.


If you have any questions about aromatherapy or massage I know Sammy will be more than happy to help - you can email her at info@sammyannes.com. I'm booking myself in for another round of sports massage to keep me relaxed and calm in the run up to Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment