Thursday 14 November 2013

Pleased To Meat You

Want to know where to find the region's best burger? Of course you do. 

Read on dear friends, and I shall reveal all.


Just look at that meaty, cheesy goodness...

Everybody loves a good burger, no one more so than me, but I'm often put off ordering them from unfamiliar menus for fear of being confronted by tasteless meat encased in hard melted cheese and a lacklustre bun, then being charged over a tenner for the privilege. 

Rumours of good food at The Fat Hippo in Jesmond have long been whispered in my ear, but living near the coast has long kept my food cravings satisfied so I'd never had a reason to visit. Well it just so happens that my friend Emily lives very close to The Fat Hippo and insisted I try it - Emily all I can say is thank you!

The Fat Hippo's menu is short and sweet, but that's not a bad thing. Menus are brought on a wooden clipboard, so we got down to business and decided what we want. We visited on a Sunday so the Happy Hour wasn't on, but it's definitely worth mentioning if you have the midweek munchies. Get one course for £7, two courses for £9 or three for £10 from 5-7pm Tuesdays-Fridays. Not bad at all! 


With jalapeno poppers, fat hot dogs and a chunky peanut butter, bacon jam and cheese burger to choose from, I was suitably impressed by the quirkiness of the menu (I should have known then that my burger was going to be good). 

Before Emily killed me for being so indecisive, I finally opted for the Texax BBQ - a meat feast topped with bacon, cheese, onion rings and barbecue sauce, accompanied by homemade chips. Emily went veggie with the Big Fat Bean Burger (halloumi, red peppers, tomato and garlic mayo) and chips. Oh and add two bottles coke in a proper glass bottle to that order please waiter. 

The 'Before' picture (you wouldn't want to see the ravaged mess that was the 'after')

The restaurant was really busy, but our food arrived within minutes of ordering which was brilliant. Taking a big bite of my burger I was pleasantly surprised to find the meat was tender and juicy with a slight pepper kick. Not a single piece was over or undercooked, the bun was lovely and soft, the onion rings were light and crispy just the way they should be, the chips were thick and lightly salted...everything was just how I like it. 

In between demolishing my own burger you'll be pleased to know I managed to ask Emily how hers was. Despite being a meat eater, she fancied something different and thought the Big Fat Bean Burger was a worthy alternative. Everything came to just over £20 between us which I think is excellent value for money, the staff were lovely and the atmosphere was bustling. I'll definitely be back - this time I don't need an excuse to be in Jesmond! 

You can browse the menu and opening hours online.  

Do you agree with my verdict? If not I'd love to hear your recommendations 



2 comments:

  1. I'm dying to try Fat Hippo, think we might go for Simon's birthday next month :D I'm the same as you, I never order burgers in restaurants, I save that for special visits to amazing places that do awesome burgers .. nothing worse than a disappointing burger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely should! Haha glad you know what I mean about burgers, I hate paying for disappointing food x

    ReplyDelete